Stairparts Simplified

For the DIY beginner, technical terms can sometimes be daunting but there is no need to be put off your stair renovation because we can explain everything in plain English.
Below is a list of commonly used staircase terms and a simple explanation of what they are:

Newel post
The thicker vertical column at the bottom and top of the stairs which the handrail runs into. These are often decoratively turned or carved and finished with a cap.
Sometimes referred to as a baluster, these are the thinner vertical columns which fill the gap between the handrail and the steps of the staircase. Spindles are often decoratively turned, carved or moulded.

Hand rail
The rail that runs up the length of the stair which can be straight or curved.

Base rail
A rail attached to the bottom of the spindles running parallel to the handrail.

Often used to describe a single spindle.

The completed frame of the stair "banister" including hand rail, spindles, newel and base rail.

An inclined board that runs up the outside of the staircase at the ends of the steps in a flight, into which the steps are attached.

The flat top of the step.

Go (Going)
The depth of the tread from the edge of one step to the base of the next.

The vertical part of the step.

The length of vertical riser from the top of one step to the bottom of the next.

The angle of incline of the staircase. Also known as the Rake of the stair.

Need some advice?
Contact our team for more information on the different types of stair part.